The Toolless technology is a CNC machining and fabrication process that uses assembly techniques borrowed from the sheet metal and (wood) cabinet making industries.
The technology is used to make custom plastic enclosures, “hog-out” enclosures, bezels, machined parts and assemblies quickly for fast turn around with our ten step process.
Ten step process
- Design the plastic enclosure starting from a dimensioned drawing or CAD file showing the circuit boards and electronic components oriented in space.
- Generate the CNC code that drives all the machining and bending operations.
- Machine the plastic sheet to add openings, vents and recesses.
- Cut individual pieces from sheet.
- Prepare joint and edge details on routing machines. All joints feature a modified tongue-and-groove design.
- Score the sheet with bending cuts on a custom table saw. These v-shaped bending cuts extend halfway through the sheet and boost the bending precision.
- Bend the pieces in a computerized thermal bending machine that resembles a sheet metal brake press.
- Heat stake metal inserts into bosses. Install the bosses into machined recesses in the sheet.
- Assemble the pieces using a solvent-bonding process.
- Perform secondary operations like painting, EMI shielding, and latch or hinge installations.
Your custom enclosures are then shipped out and into your hands quickly.
Advantages over Injection Molding
- No tooling or capital outlay – No minimum orders
- Fast turnaround
- High quality appearance
- Zero draft - Zero Tooling
- Changes are easily incorporated
- Complex features including bosses, ribs, and interlocks can be added